Saturday, August 20, 2011

Reflection: Chapter 1 and 2

Math is a subject i love to hate!
But...
After reading the two chapters, I realize why I hated Math so much - I had never make any connection to what I had learn. I learn by rote, forcing my little brain to remember all the formulas and keep practicing (10 years series) and hope that similar questions will appear during exams.

Chapter 1 has given me a perception on how we as educators should teach math. The 6 principles gave me a clear understanding on what kind of support and environment we should provide for children to enhance learning. Next, the 5 process standards demonstrate the process which children should acquire and apply their mathematical knowledge. It is important that these 5 processes are integrated during learning and teaching so that children can develop mathematical ideas, justify their ideas through logical thinking , connecting and expressing mathematical ideas. I came to realize this is a more meaningful way in learning math as these processes add to a deeper understanding.

Chapter 2 gave me a clear understanding that learning math is not only about drilling. It is about building on from prior knowledge, rich interaction, opportunities for reflective thought, encouraging children to build connections on what they know to what they are learning-multiple approaches, making mistakes, reflect and clear the misconception, scaffolding and acknowledging that every child is unique. To develop a better understanding, educators can use multiple representations (such as manipulatives and models) to support them. It is kind of sad that I don't grow up learning math that way. Realizing the benefits of relational understanding motivates me to seek for more strategies that I can implement to enhance children learning.

Lastly,I hope that more educators will come to understand that learning math is not about drilling, so that children will learn in a meaningful way, acquire the concepts and apply what they learn in real world situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment